Wednesday, May 31, 2023

WfW ~ 31 May ...

Image Source: Bing
 It's the last day of my commitment to the American Cancer Society to write for 30 minutes a day in May.



 Once we had gotten settled in the office and made sure that Rose was safe, we decided to travel two towns away to use the public library computers for researching the names on the IDs I had taken from the men at Chuck E Cheese.  The library was an imposing building in an otherwise small and nondescript town.  There were two large concrete lions on both sides of the stairs leading up to the front door.

 "Excuse me, we're looking for your computer resources room?"

 "Do you have a library card with us?"

 "Um, no.  What do I need to provide?"

 "Do you have any sort of government-provided identification?"

 I thought quickly and handed her one of the two CIA IDs that looked closest to me.

 "George Adams, is it?  You don't look like your picture."

 "I was involved in a bomb explosion on an assignment.  The plastic surgeons had to make some drastic choices when they were reconstructing my face.  I only recently was able to take off all the bandages and haven't yet had my ID photo updated."

 "Hmmm.  Well, he did a wonderful job.  I can't even see any scars.  Let me just get you a card and you'll be able to access the computers."

 "Thank you.  He's one of our best surgeons, of course.  Usually, he systematically takes on our witness protection cases and works to give them a completely new identity."

 "Oh my!  Is there any way I could get his name and number?"

 "Only if you are going to testify in a case against an international child or drug trafficking predator, but I can't imagine what you would need his number for.  You are a very attractive woman just as you are."

 She blushed and turned away, and I felt Jack's elbow dig into my ribcage.

 "Could I get the card, and you can just point me in the direction of the computers?"

 Ten minutes later, Jack and I were reviewing the information that Google and Bing had provided on Mr. Adams and his partner, Ralph Harrison.

 "You know Simon, occasionally you can tone down the lies you tell to get information.  Plastic surgery to change your looks?  Do you think the CIA would actually do that?"

 "Why wouldn't they?  The cartels and mafia do it.  I'm sure sexual predators probably do it too.  Serial killers. If they are on the run or want to keep their crimes from being pinned to one identity."

 "Maybe, but just be careful because we don't want to be able to be identified either if these searches set off an alert somewhere on their names.  We'd be right in the middle of a government firestorm and that librarian would be able to pick you right out of a lineup with as much attention she was paying to your face."  

 "You're right.  I probably shouldn't have laid it on so thick.  Are you coming up with anything at all on Harrison?"

 "Nothing specific.  It would be nice if we could have done this at the office with our research software programs that would have given us access to more background information. The first result I landed on with Bing just says that he invented Hawaiian Punch Fruit Drink.  But that guy died in California in 1990."

 "Well, I didn't want anything tracked through our IPA address to the temp office.  This way if they are tracking the searches on those names, they'll pop up in a town away from where we really are.  If we can stay out of sight for a few days, maybe we can figure out what is really going on.  I'm not having much luck either on this Adams guy.  Apparently, he was either a jazz musician that died in 1992, or the son of President John Adams and died in 1829."

 "So if we can't access any background check systems without drawing attention and raising red flags, what about the coins?  You still have pictures of them on your cell phone, right?  Maybe we can find out what would be involved in reproducing coins that look like them and see if that can get us some information on who might have created them in the first place.  I'm really not buying this "Humans from the Future" story that Rose is still hung up on."

 "Good idea.  Look to see if there is a metalsmith anywhere near here."

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on finishing your challenge. And thanks for continuing this story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm enjoying your continuing story, it's starting to sound like those names are a cover and they weren't with the government.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated ... so be nice or be gone.