Saturday, May 6, 2023

6 May

 I was going to post today some of my trip photos, but yesterday signed up for a volunteer program through work that I thought would be a good tie-in to writing for 30 minutes a day in May.

 Letters Against Isolation [<click link there] was born out of Covid and strives to reach our older populations in nursing and assisted living homes who are isolated.  They accept volunteers to write to them, as often as you like, around the world, or in your own state and country.

 I've signed up to send letters in German (full transparency, with the help of Google Translate) so that I can practice my reading and writing German.

 When I was so sick in 2021, it was the unexpected cards and letters that cheered me the most.  At a time when I was new to the area, with no friends, and no family nearby, the isolation was even more painful than what was making me sick.  It was even scarier than the thought of dying of cancer.

 At a time when it is easier to send a text message or email, just the fact that someone took the time to stop and write to me, to pick out a card, pause their day, and spend a stamp ... it was like being wrapped in a warm hug when I pulled that envelope out of the mailbox.

 I encourage you today to stop and send someone a hug in the mail today.  It will warm both of your hearts.

I'm writing as part of my commitment to the American Cancer Society to write for 30 minutes a day in May.

2 comments:

  1. Loneliness is indeed a killer. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the reminder, i have a person or two i need to write on Tuesday when i have my day off.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated ... so be nice or be gone.