Friday, May 19, 2023

19 May ...

 I'm writing as part of my commitment to the American Cancer Society to write for 30 minutes a day in May.


 It has been ages since I've been able to just sit and read non-stop ... or had a book that made me want to.  I had the perfect opportunity on my vacation, except that I forgot to bring one for the trip out.  Which worked out alright since I was able to get a window seat and wouldn't have wanted to miss the view anyway.

 Speaking of which, I was intently watching for bears along the tracks but didn't see any.  I did see a wild turkey and a bald eagle though.

 On one of the shopping days with the sisters, we went into a large bookstore that sold both new and used books.  This one by Ann Hood looked intriguing, so I grabbed it.

 From the back cover:  "After joining a book group, Ava rediscovers a mysterious book from her childhood - one that helped her through the traumas of the untimely deaths of her sister and mother.  Meanwhile, Ava's troubled daughter Maggie goes missing while living in Paris.  The Book That Matters Most is an enthralling novel about love, loss, secrets, friendship, and the healing power of literature."

 As someone who gravitated to school libraries every time we moved when I was a child, books were always my first, and best, friends.  I have books that I reach to when I just want to disappear into the pages, and no matter how many times I have read, or reread, them there is always something new I discover in the pages.

  When the main character, Ava, joins the book group it is December when the theme for the next year is being announced: The Book That Matters Most.  Each of the ten members suggests a book that mattered the most in their life.

 The selections and the reasons behind their choices are all fascinating, and I'm ashamed to admit that I don't think I've read any of them.  Yet.  Movies apparently can't count.

  It was an excellent read, and I'm certain I will pick it up again in the future.

2 comments:

  1. Hooray for books - and a big hooray for a new discovery you are going to revisit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does sound excellent, if only my TBR pile wasn't already so big.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated ... so be nice or be gone.