Wednesday, May 3, 2023

WfW ~ 3 May ...

 "Where did you get that dress, Rose?"

 "In a box under the eaves over there.  I'm really surprised that the hot temperatures up here hadn't damaged it.  But I suppose it could have been worse. It looks like some of the fabric has been torn in places and ... why on earth are the two of you looking at me like that? Is there something in my hair? I really hope that it isn't a spider."

 "It's more likely to be a bat, Rose since I see signs that some may roost up here, but no. Nothing is in your hair."

 Rose whipped her head around frantically looking for bats while Simon stifled a laugh. He knew Jack was just trying to get her wound up so she would go back downstairs and get out of their own hair.

 "Can you please be gentle with that dress and get out of it before the humidity and your sweat damage it any further? Change back into your jeans and go watch for anyone coming while we try to cope with the rest of the boxes."

 "Jack,  we need to face the reality that we don't know what we are looking for up here and ... oh my gosh did I just step on the carcass of something?"

 Jack shined his flashlight at Simon's feet. One of them was ankle-deep in something green and he involuntary gagged.  Covering his mouth and nose he leaned in to see what it was.

 "Relax, Simon.  It looks like you stepped on some kind of a model of the town. That's the landscape of the surrounding fields and hills. I think more accurately it is Mount Ebberly. Watch where you're stepping because we need to get out of here before daylight. If we don't find that box with the planner and tapes, I'm not sure if the weather is going to give us another opportunity to search up here for it without raising suspicion."

2 comments:

  1. I so admire your ability to continue a story using each week's prompts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Searching fast and thoroughly when under threat of being caught is a tough row to hoe. I do hope they find it.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated ... so be nice or be gone.