Saturday, May 13, 2023

13 May ...

 I'm writing as part of my commitment to the American Cancer Society to write for 30 minutes a day in May.


Someone recently asked me what the best part of my vacation was, and honestly, there wasn't ONE best part.
All of it was the best.  Especially this part.  Meeting my nephew, Dan, for the first time.
And meeting his daughter, Aura, who is just brilliant and beautiful!
Aura has two parakeets named Cookies and Cream.  This was Cream sitting on her shoulder,
This handsome dude is Ozzy.
 This hellraiser is Gordy ~ Gordy LaForge to be exact.  A rescued cat who was dedicated to his job of protecting the house from invading predator aliens disguised as squirrels.

This was the elusive Odin ~ Odie ~ who I didn't see much of, but was just as sweet as could be.
 I must admit that spending a vacation with resident fur-kids is probably the best way to do it.  I missed my own, but it was made easier by making friends with these guys.

Along those same lines ... a thought about family, especially the unexpected ones.
It doesn't matter how someone got here.  Whether or not they are half, step, or not even related in any way.
Family is who and what you make it, and something to be cherished, protected, and enjoyed.
Families are the people you love the most, the ones who have your back, and the ones whose backs you have.
Families are the people who can make you laugh until you cry, and cry until you laugh.
It's the people who you can pick up a conversation with whether it has been two hours, two years, or two decades since you last saw each other.
Families are the ones that are always in your heart, in your thoughts, or in your prayers.
You don't always have to agree on everything, or even like everything.
Families are the ones that love you just how you are, especially at your worst.

2 comments:

  1. Hooray for fur (and feather) family. I love your definition of family too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got more family, in the sense you mean, than you can shake a stick at.

    I'm glad you got to meet your nephew and great niece.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated ... so be nice or be gone.