Tuesday, May 30, 2023

30 May ...

  I'm writing as part of my commitment to the American Cancer Society to write for 30 minutes a day in May.


 It's almost the end of the challenge.  I have to confess that there were some days when just writing was a challenge.  Thinking of what to write, and days, when I wanted to write on something I knew, would be controversial.

 I recently watched a four-episode documentary called [link>] "The Secrets of Hillsong."  It was a sad, but yet fascinating look at the rise and fall of a church that I once followed on television.  What I found most interesting were the similarities (growth goals, financial giving, and demands on volunteers) between Hillsong and a church I went to before.  But most heartbreaking for me were the "victims" who were either shunned from the church, publicly humiliated, or left because of bias whose faith had been changed because of the church.

 When I posted a link to the documentary on Facebook and my thoughts on it, there were of course pro and con comments regarding it.  One comment felt that such documentaries did more harm to the church than the fallen preachers did, but I would have to disagree.  I think having your eyes opened by the truth behind why a church failed should encourage other churches to have more honest accountability.

 Regardless of which side of the fence someone is, it was a sad ending to what had once been a powerful and encouraging church that I received a great deal from at a time when I needed hope.

2 comments:

  1. Accountability is a key to keeping people in check, even those of us in churches. It's why we are supposed to not forsake the assembling of ourselves together. That structure keeps us walking the path, if it's a good church doing as it should, and if it is such a church, the pastors are held accountable to the elders and congregation and demand that such be the case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fallout from the collapse of Hillsong are not over yet. Sadly the rich continue to evade being accountable. My heart goes out to all who we let down, and betrayed.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated ... so be nice or be gone.