Friday, May 5, 2023

cinco de mayo

That's me on the right with my sisters.
Middle, Little, Me.
 Today is my birthday.  I'm 61 years young, although if my mother were still alive, she would have called me at one-something in the morning to remind me that I'm actually beginning my 62nd year.

 I miss her and wish that the last two years of her life had not been so difficult between us.  It was not so much the fault of either of us, simply her state of mind with her health issues.  The last time I spoke to her was two weeks before she passed away to tell her that I was cancer free and wasn't going to die anytime soon.  I was multi-tasking and walking into town to the hardware store to get something for a project I was working on and she told me to call her when I wasn't busy doing something else then hung up on me.  She never answered another call from me.

 I think of that when my phone rings, or pings with a text message from someone.  What if it is the last time?

 I had my Amazon Echo Dot sing happy birthday to me this morning and tell me what other famous people were born today.  Amazon Music will be playing Mexican celebration music all day.  I love saying that I have a whole country that parties with me on my birthday.  Although it does make going out for enchiladas on my birthday a little crowded.

 My trip the past week was about reconnecting with people in my life because I don't want to miss out on any chance to tell someone I love them, that they are important and important to me.

 Life is short.  Love can be forever.  I want my next 40ish years to be my best.


I'm writing as part of my commitment to the American Cancer Society to write for 30 minutes a day in May.

2 comments:

  1. A powerful reminder that we should never, ever let the chance to tell someone we love them slip by. Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An invaluable lesson, thank you. And i wish you many happy returns of your birthday!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated ... so be nice or be gone.