Friday, June 9, 2023

WfW late... June 7

First apologies for being so late in getting back to the story of the Artisan's Loft murder and the cast of characters Rose, Jack, and Simon.  It has been a hectic yet exciting week which I will follow up with another post after this one.  
We last left off with Jack and Simon at the library after discovering the government agents were not who they said they were, and on their way to find a metalsmith who might tell them how and where the "coins from the future" were minted.  We are following the story from Simon's point of view.

Image Source: IMDB.com
 A quick internet search gave us the name of two metalsmiths within 100 miles of the Artisan's Loft that may have some answers, so we stopped by the temporary site of our office to check in with Rose before heading on to the closest one.  As usual, Rose was in a melodramatic frenzy, her hysteria causing her roiling eyebrows and turquoise blue eyeshade to remind me of Helena Bonham Carter's version of the Red Queen in Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland.  I tried to stifle a laugh at the thought, but needless to say, I wasn't successful.

 "Well, it's about time you two showed up!!  I've been a nervous wreck worrying about the two of you idiots.  What are you laughing at Simon?  This isn't funny!"

 "I realize that Rose and I apologize profusely.  It's just that Jack and I were discussing a movie on the way in, and how much you resemble a famous actress."

 "Oh!  Really?  Who?"  Rose turned to Jack curiously, and it was his turn to raise an eyebrow at me.

 "You go ahead and tell her, Simon.  I refuse to take the surprise away from you.  It will be gratifying to hear you explain it to her."

 Cornered now by both of them, I had no way out. "Well, it was Helena Bonham Carter actually.  She is such a versatile actress with such classic beauty."

 Rose brushed her hair back, "Oh, you really think so?"

 Jumping in finally to save me, Jack quickly changed the subject.  "Rose, has there been anything on the news about what happened at Chuck E Cheese, or the Artisan's Loft?  Any kind of newsreel that we can pull up on the internet?"

 Annoyed that the attention was no longer on her, Rose shrugged her shoulders and grabbed her cat that was kneading the back of the office sofa, silently watching Rose's drama unfold.  She stormed into the front office that was serving as a reception area with an air of disappointment floating behind her.

 "Helena Bonham Carter?  Really, Simon?  In what role?"

 I quietly explained to him the image that had come to mind when I first walked into the office, and he doubled over in silent laughter, covering his mouth and tears rolling down his face.  When he had finally gotten himself under control he pointed to the rear exit of the office and then his watch.

 "Rose, Jack, and I are going out of town again for several hours to find a metalsmith who might be able to help us with the questions about the coins.  We may need to stay overnight because of the distance.  Will you be okay here until we come back?  I've gotten hotel rooms for all of us nearby, and left your key in the top drawer of your desk."

 There was silence from the front office, and I peeked through the doorway.  She had apparently left the office, leaving a note on the top of her desk.  "Gone to the hotel to change my eyeshadow.  I hate you, Simon."  Apparently, my attempt to be quiet when I was explaining to Jack the resemblance was not quiet enough.

 Meeting Jack at the car, I told him what had happened and suggested that while we were out on our journey we look for some jewelry or something that might heal her hurt feelings.  Jack had often teased his sister unmercifully when they were younger, and I hit a sore spot in her with my comments.

 "Yeah, sure.  Whatever.  She'll get over it, but if that's what you want to do, be my guest.  Waste of money though if you want my opinion.  Let's just get on the road and find this first guy.  I don't want to be driving in the dark to find this place.  Port Nathan Forrest sounds like a place I don't want to stay long in or spend the night in."

 "Really?  Why not?"

 "Well, let's just say that if it is named after who I think it is, General Nathan Bedford Forrest, [<link] there is a good chance that they aren't very friendly to people who come from the North.  I know the Civil War was over ages ago, but the crimes that were committed under his command would never have gone ignored in this day and age."

3 comments:

  1. Another intriguing installment - though I do feel sorry for Rose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that was an unexpected development that the fingers did while I wasn't looking. I think at times my subconscious mind comes into play when I write, and this past week dealt with some drama when my inner Amazon lashed out at someone who was bullying a friend of mine. I think that is why it snuck in there ... how cruel words can be, even when not meant to hurt someone, as Simon wouldn't have said anything to hurt Rose on purpose. The drama this week, however, was meant to hurt someone which is why the Amazon was unleashed.

      Delete
  2. I do hope being hurt and upset doesn't make Rose do anything to put her in danger. Meanwhile,we're all late at doing things we want to do online from time to time because of real life interfering with it. It's okay.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated ... so be nice or be gone.