Monday, May 13, 2024

The threshing ...

   "I have to admit, Albert, getting away this past week was just what I needed.  I forget that those in the southern hemisphere don't have the same seasons we do, and it was fascinating being able to take part in the fall harvest in Australia."

  "It was indeed a different experience, Clarence.  Although now that we are back on home soil, I am a little concerned that we haven't heard from the exterminator to let us know that the house was safe to enter."

  "I imagine if the tent is gone, it would be safe, wouldn't it?  Didn't he say it would take three days under the tent, and then three days with the windows open to air it out?"

  "Yes, but I assumed he would call and confirm that everything had been cleared out.  Especially the basement.  I've been calling him for several days now, and he hasn't returned any of my calls."

  [Their car rounds a corner and the house comes into view with the tent partially covering the house.  The exterminator's truck is still there, with the driver-side door open.  Albert and Clarence exchange worried looks.]

  "Should we go in?"

  "I think we should call the police.  We don't know that it was our unwanted house guest, and I'd rather not walk in unarmed in case it was.  But judging by the condition of the tent by the door, I would guess that our guest was not happy with the eviction notice being enforced and decided to leave before the fumigation was finished."

  "Oh, dear."

2 comments:

All comments are moderated ... so be nice or be gone.