Friday, May 3, 2024

oliver ...

   [A]  "Clarence.  So kind of you to finally join us.  Detective Griffiths here would like to ask you a few questions about Mary."

  [C]  "Mary?"

  [A]  "Yes, Mary.  The woman who used to cook for us, remember?  Perhaps that skunk addled your brain as well as fouling your clothes?"

  [C]  "Yes, yes.  I know who she is.  I just don't understand why he wants to talk to me."

  [G]  "It's really just a formality, Clarence.  No need to worry.  Her daughter told us that the last time she spoke to her mother, she was planning on coming here as usual to cook weekend meals for the two of you?  Did she arrive?"

  [C]  "Hmmm.  I'm not quite sure.  How long ago would that have been?  My memory is not what it used to be at times."

  [G flipping open notepad back a few pages] "I believe that would have been on the 19th."

  [C]  "Ah, yes.  She was here that day, but as I recall, she left before preparing any dessert for us for the weekend."

  [G]  "Oh?  Why was that?"

  [Nameless Officer] "Excuse me, sir.  There seems to be a door we've been unable to open."

  [G] "Albert?  I thought you said we would have full access?"

  [A]  "Oh my.  He must be talking about the cellar door.  We haven't been down there in decades.  I wasn't even aware that it was locked.  Perhaps it is just stuck. Let me go see about it now.  Clarence, you carry on with Detective Griffiths.  I won't be but a minute."

  [G] "So, Clarence.  Tell me what you were doing in the woods today."

  [C]  "What?"

  [G]  "Your little walk in the woods where you encountered the skunk?"

  [C]  "Oh yes, well, I went to speak to Owliver."

  [G]  "Oliver, eh?  And who is this Oliver?"

  [C]  "No, not OLIVEr.  OWLiver.  An owl that I see on my walk occasionally.  We have a 'hoot' of a laugh and ..."

  [Crashing sounds of something falling.  Sounds of a loud struggle in the hallway.  A scream ... then silence.]

2 comments:

All comments are moderated ... so be nice or be gone.