Wednesday, May 22, 2024

shiver me timbers ...

"Clarence?"

"Yes, Albert?"

"Are you warm enough?  You've been sitting there shivering, and I know that old quilt can't be thick enough to warm you.  I can see holes in it.  Where on earth did you get it from?"

"I don't quite remember.  I thought it was Grandmama's, but now I don't recall.  Did you bring it with us from the house?"

"No.  I didn't go back to the house before we left for Germany.  Why would you think it belonged to Grandmama?"

"Hmmm, I thought it smelled like her perfume.  I found a bottle of it once in the attic after she died.  I missed her so much.  I sprayed some on a quilt she had made for me that was on my bed.  When I slept with it wrapped around me, it was as if she was giving me a big hug."

[Albert sniffing the quilt deeply.]

"Ugh.  No.  Definitely not perfume.  More like something died in it.  Let me get you another blanket from room service.  This will simply have to go.  I'll also speak to them about having the heat increased in the room.  I don't understand why it is so cold in here.  It must be 21C outside, but it feels like 4C in here."

[Albert on the telephone demanding that the heat be turned on and two additional down comforters be brought up.]  "Ja?  Hallo?  Können Sie bitte sofort die Heizung in Zimmer 6 aufdrehen?  Und bringen Sie uns bitte nock zwei Daunendecken.  Sofort!"

"What is that, Mum?  No, no.  He isn't angry with you.  I think he is just angry at everything."

"Clarence, who are you talking to?"

"What?  Oh.  No one."

2 comments:

  1. I don't know whether I feel more for Clarence of Albert.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angry he's losing his brother, bit by bit, or so it seems.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated ... so be nice or be gone.