Thursday, May 23, 2024

Once upon a time ...

"Clarence" 

"Yes, Albert?"

"Would you like me to read to you?"

"That would be nice.  Is Elsa coming today, Albert?"

"I don't know if she is, Clarence.  I left a message at the phone number you gave me, but I don't know if it was still her number or not."

"Oh.  Well, it has been quite a while ago.  Perhaps she changed her number.  Did you call the doctor, Albert?"

"I did, but he said he could not come until Friday.  Would you like to go to the hospital instead?"

"No.  I don't want to be put on any machines, and I'm afraid that is what they will want to do.  Albert?"

"Yes, Clarence?"

"Do you think I am dying because of the house?  Because of the spider?"

"I don't know, Clarence.  I don't know if you are dying, but I do know that you have become weaker the longer we have been away from the house.  I can't tell if it is draining your energy now, or if it was giving you life while we were there.  I'm tempted to take you back to the house to find out, but I'm not sure if you are strong enough to make the trip."

"Albert?"

"Yes?"

"What do you think happens when we die?"

"I don't know, Clarence.  But I know I don't want you to find out yet."

"I don't want to either."'

[knocking at the door]
 

2 comments:

  1. I do hope that whoever is knocking on the door brings some happiness and hope in with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It can be so hard to know what to do.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated ... so be nice or be gone.