Friday, May 10, 2024

lines of the times ...

  [speaking into the phone] "Yes, yes.  I'll hold.  Just tell him it is about Clarence and it is quite urgent that I speak to him.  Thank you."

  "Albert?  Who are you phoning?"

  "I'm phoning your physician as we discussed this morning.  Remember?  You were sleepwalking?"

  "Don't be absurd.  I never sleepwalk."

  "You don't remember being outside in the garden this morning?  You said you were looking at the moon, but there wasn't a moon.  Even if there had been, it was quite foggy and you couldn't have seen it.  You said you heard Mary calling you."

  "Mary is gone, Albert."

  "Yes.  I know.  That's what I told you this morning.  You also said that you'd been dreaming of spiders.  Do you recall that?"

   "I don't recall telling you that."

   "I just think you've been under a great deal of stress lately, and that it might be good to see the doctor.  Perhaps to help with the nightmares?  Neither of us are young men anymore, Clarence, and I'm concerned that you were outside in the fog too long.  Your skin has become too thin of late, and your hands especially are showing your age.  I think that having the physician give you an exam would be best."

  "Fine.  Whatever you think will be best.  But Albert ..."

  "Yes?"

  "What if it is watching and will follow us?"

  "What if what is watching us?"

  "The spider."

  [muffled voice on the telephone]  "Nevermind.  Just tell him that we are on the way now.  This cannot wait any longer."

2 comments:

  1. This story has more legs than a spider. Keep the installments coming please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, dear. It does sound like they need outside help.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated ... so be nice or be gone.