Thursday, August 19, 2021

Words on Wednesday ~ 8/18

 This month, [David M Gascoigne] is providing the prompts for Words for Wednesday, but they are being hosted on [the Elephant's Child blog]. Started by Delores ages ago, it is now hosted by different people each month on various blogs around the world. The aim of Words for Wednesday is to encourage us to write using some or all of the prompts.

~*~*~

Alvina rubbed the tears from her blurry eyes after Eahldun had finished telling her of his travels and not knowing whether or not his family and friends were safe.

"Are you hungry, Eahldun?  I have some fresh figs in the house and cold water to drink."

"Yes, please.  I would like that very much."

She walked with him on her shoulder until they entered the house, then set him on the floor, leading the way to the kitchen.  "I'm not sure I have a small enough glass for you to drink from, and I never developed any sewing skills, so I wouldn't have a thimble.  My mother always tried to teach me needlepoint, but I was such a tomboy growing up that I would rather spend my time in the trees instead of stitching them on fabric."

Eahldun laughed, "My little sister is like that.  Mother wants her to learn skills that will help when she marries, but Floria would rather spend all her time playing in the field flowers.  Father never should have given her a name that meant a flower in bloom.  She tells mother that she has no time for marriage, it was just for oversexed old men anyway and she didn't want any part of it."

"Do you think she survived the attack?  You must be so afraid for your family and friends.  The not-knowing would be just intolerable for me."

"I don't know.  I've been afraid of what I will find if I go back.  Right now, I can tell myself that they escaped as I did and are still alive."

"But wouldn't they be searching for you?"

He sighed, "Yes, I suppose they would be."

Alvina looked at him thoughtfully as she placed a plate with small pieces of fig, and a spoon full of water next to him on the table where he had climbed up so that they could talk while she prepared the fig.

"You, your family and friends, would all need to find a new home, yes?  One that did not have a glacial winter season?"

"Yes, I'm sure we would.  Why?"

"I was just thinking that my garden might be the perfect place for all of you to have a new home.  I mean, I have a fenced yard that keeps out dogs and most of the larger wildlife that can't climb it.  Our winters are cold here, but we could build small shelters that would keep you warm.  You could tend to the garden for food, and if there was anything else you needed, I could provide it."

"You would do that for us?"

Slowly nodding, "Yes.  I think it would be lovely to have all of you in my garden, to have your company, and to learn more about the magic that goes on in the world that I've forgotten since I grew up.  I've enjoyed my solitude here, and don't miss having a romantic interest.  But just in talking with you, I've realized that I miss having that.  Conversations.  I would not be the most dogmatic landlord, I assure you.  I think it will be a win-win for both of us.  If you'd like, after you've refreshed yourself, I could drive you back to your valley to search for survivors."

Two hours later, following the directions Eahldun was giving her, Alvina stopped on a dirt road that looked down into a smaller valley with a soft, nebulous glow.  She followed him, carefully picking her way through the underbrush, with a large picnic basket in her arms, ready to carry any wounded to the safety of her car.  Chewing a piece of gum to hide her nervousness and fear, Alvina hoped that she had made the right choice by offering her garden as a sanctuary to Eahldun and his people.

She wondered if there were also elf-sized cows, sheep, and pigs, and what type of fodder they ate.  Whether there were chickens and ducks and tried to imagine their tiny eggs.  There was so much that she didn't know, and one thing that she always deprecated in herself was ignorance.

5 comments:

  1. This is a lovely, hopeful take on the prompts. I so hope that it works - for them all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you. I also like the fantasy writing of it!

      Delete
  3. Hooping it works out well for all of them.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated ... so be nice or be gone.