Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Words for Wednesday

  This Writing Challenge was started by Delores a long time ago. Computer issues led her to bow out for a while, and now Words for/on Wednesday is provided by a number of people around the world and has become a movable feast, with [Elephant's Child in Australia] acting as moderator.

   Essentially the aim is to encourage us to write. Each Tuesday or Wednesday (depending on time zones and hemispheres) we are given a choice of prompts: which can be words, phrases, music, or an image. What we do with those prompts is up to us: a short story, prose, a song, a poem, or ignoring them. We can use some or all of the prompts, and mixing and matching are encouraged.

   Some of us put our creation in comments on the post, and others post on their own blog. It is always wonderful if as many people as possible joined in this fun challenge, which includes cheering on the other participants.   You may post on Elephant's Child's blog, here, or your own blog.  If you are posting on your own blog - please share a link on Elephant's Child's blog or here so that I, and other participants, can come along and applaud.

   The Challenge:  They say a picture is worth 1,000 words.   Paint us a picture with at least 100 words of your favorite vacation spot.

20 comments:

  1. Faraway is place where no troubles can come. They follow you to the border, but stop there suddenly like stone statues and wave you on your way. The sun shines. Small droplets of rain fall, then turn to mist, then to dreams. A sandy seashore guides your way and a castle stands by the dock. When you leave here you will remember it forever. You will take its quiet rustle of wind with you to noisy places. It will walk with you through the city. It will feed you with songs and poetry and the realization that all the laws of nature exist only to paint the sky so you will have a sunrise every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandi: I love this. It is truly beautiful and speaks loudly to my dawn and nature loving self.

      Delete
    2. Beautiful! Thank you for participating!

      Delete
  2. I don't think I am a moderator. Co-ordinator? When Delores passed the meme to me I soon realised just how much work it was, thinking of new prompts week after week. So my lazy self decided to share the load. I think the meme benefits too - fresh perspective is always welcome.
    I am going to cheat a bit here, and post something I wrote some time ago.

    Antarctica
    An impossible dream,
    realised.
    When opportunity appeared I fell into her arms
    (prudence and sanity be damned).

    Somnolent seals, and
    porpoising penguins,
    Monet's water lilies,
    Exquisitely, delicately executed in ice.

    Uncompromising, unforgiving.
    Chilly blues, hard-edged white.
    Monolithic ice-bergs, flurries of snow.
    Dawn and dusk separated by no more than a heart-beat.

    This fragile frozen land sent daggers into my heart
    and ignited a firestorm.
    A storm of awe, of wonder,
    and of joy.


    Memories fan the embers to a blaze
    and warm my heart.
    I hope they always will.
    I know they always will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a dream come true! That's a place i would also like to see at least once in my life.

      Delete
    2. Your words painted such a beautiful picture I feel as if I've been there also. Thank you!

      Delete
    3. Beautisimo!

      Is that even a word? English didn't seem to suit this comment.

      Have you ever heard of Kara and Nate on You Tube? They travel the world. Their episode on Antarctica is faaantastic!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I'm posting the site here because your link did not work: https://messymimismeanderings.blogspot.com/2021/09/civic-association-sign-wordless.html
      Beautiful steps to a wonderful holiday! Thank you!

      Delete
    2. Sorry about that, i've always done it that way before, i wonder if i copied the link incorrectly.

      Delete
  4. Vacations are something I have never had. Never had a holiday "away' from home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this challenge. My try is here: WfW

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated ... so be nice or be gone.