Sunday, April 21, 2024

it begins like this ...

 Rather than just posting images of my 100 days of artwork, for these last 37 days, I've decided to incorporate the prompts and images into short ~ or long ~ stories depending on where the prompts lead me.  While the artistic creation process is a great stress reliever for me, I do want to get back to my calling ... wordsmith ... storyteller ... magic creator.

  "Did you know the thistle was Scotland's first Lego toy?"

  "What?!? That's nonsense.  Where on earth did you read that?  Thistles don't stick together, although they do stick to just about everything else."

  "No, they don't.  But in the 13th Century, the Norse were planning an invasion of Scotland to take the lands for themselves.  At the Battle of Largs, in Ayrshire on the shores of Firth of Clyde, they left their ships at night planning to sneak up on the sleeping Scots.  Wanting to be as quiet as possible, they removed their shoes.

  "Unfortunately for them, one of them stepped on a thistle, and his shout of pain woke all the Clansmen who defeated the Norsemen."

  "Oh, I see.  And so that's why you said the thistle was the first Lego toy.  Because stepping on one of them barefooted has got to be the most painful thing ever."

  "Exactly!  Which also makes the thistle the first-ever burglar alarm."

  "You do know that you spend far too much time on the internet, right?"

  "You are just jealous that I would do better than you at playing Jeopardy."

  "Ha!"

4 comments:

  1. Smiling. Many years ago an urgent call of nature led to me squatting on a thistle beside the road in the small hours. NOT fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heeheehee! Fun story, and I'm glad you are back to writing. It's something I've often wished I could do effectively.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but I've read some of your Words on Wednesday stories and think that you write quite well!

      Delete

All comments are moderated ... so be nice or be gone.