Friday, April 26, 2024

fawning over you ...

   I fell the other day.

   Head over heels.

   I was watching where I was going.

   And there you were, with your momma by your side.

   And there I was.

   Fawning over you like a screaming Beatles fan.

   You, with your brown doe eyes and long lashes.

   Completely oblivious to what you were doing to me.

   You had me at that first wobbly step into my view.

   I slowed and waited patiently as your mom crossed the road in front of me.

   You, cautious and afraid, rightly so of the loud rumbling beast took one step and then curled up into a ball, trying to be invisible, just as your momma taught you.

   I stifled a laugh, knowing that at any minute traffic could come from the opposite direction and terrify you even more.

   "You can do it," I whispered.  "Come on, get up."

   Your momma came and stood over you, glaring at me, daring me to rush you.

   I turned off the engine, waiting patiently for the silence to comfort you.

   You peeked at me.  I saw you.  Your eye opened, your ear flickered, then slowly you lifted your head and looked at me.

   "You can do it," I whispered again.  "Come on, get up."

   Slowly you stood.  Took a step.  Your momma right there next to you.  Then another step, and another.

   A flip of your tail and you disappeared into the brush.

   I sighed, that long, slow sigh of someone who just fell in love at first sight.

2 comments:

All comments are moderated ... so be nice or be gone.