Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Words for Wednesday

  This Writing Challenge was started by Delores a long time ago. Computer issues led her to bow out for a while, and now Words for/on Wednesday is provided by a number of people around the world and has become a movable feast, with [Elephant's Child in Australia] acting as moderator.

   Essentially the aim is to encourage us to write. Each Tuesday or Wednesday (depending on time zones and hemispheres) we are given a choice of prompts: which can be words, phrases, music, or an image. What we do with those prompts is up to us: a short story, prose, a song, a poem, or ignoring them. We can use some or all of the prompts, and mixing and matching are encouraged.

   Some of us put our creation in comments on the post, and others post on their own blog. It is always wonderful if as many people as possible joined in this fun challenge, which includes cheering on the other participants.   You may post on Elephant's Child's blog, here, or your own blog.  If you are posting on your own blog - please share a link on Elephant's Child's blog or here so that I, and other participants, can come along and applaud.

The Challenge:  They say a picture is worth 1,000 words.  Write at least 100 words about the image below.



15 comments:

  1. Sorry, I am clueless. Those bridges are feats of engineering and make me uncomfortable. I always get the feeling that they sway in the wind. And my aging mind/tastes thinks that they don't have a fraction of the charm of the bridges that our forebears built. Bridges like this one are utilitarian, and don't (for me) have the symbolism that so many bridges carry.
    I may come back later if inspiration hits and will certainly read other people's contributions with pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Oh, I had those same thoughts also! Alas, the truck is now gone and I'm vehicle-less for the time being. Fortunately, I have friends to drive me to medical appointments and procedures, and most of the small town where I live is in walking distance.

      Delete
  3. EC, you almost have 100 words right there :)

    I'm not feeling much inspiration either. I'll sleep on it and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have written of a childhood bridge of mine. If you guess at some bridge near the Unicorn Farm, you're not far off: WfW

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've managed again to exceed the 100 word count, not that I was trying very hard though I keep editing to make it shorter but it ended up being longer. Here's the link: The midnight bridge club

    Thanks for the inspiration.

    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And a wonderful, mysterious story it was! Thank you!!!

      Delete
    2. Also... don't worry about going over. The 100 words is just a minimum. You can make it as long as you like.

      Delete
  6. She looked at the bridge ahead of her and took her foot off the gas. The bridge was visibly swaying, and the winds felt as if they were pushing her truck onto the shoulder. Hights never bothered her for the most part. But strong winds and a swaying bridge gave her pause. The winter storm hadn't even hit yet, and these were just the outer bands of it. However, to stay on schedule, she really needed to get across it this morning.

    Reaching blindly to her right, she felt Charlie's harness and made sure it was securely fastened to the seatbelt. The cats were still safely in their carrier since she had not yet opened the door to give them the option of moving about the back seat.

    Yesterday they had driven from Wisconsin, on the shores of Lake Superior, all the way across the Michigan Upper Peninsula (UP) to stay in the last hotel before the Mackinac Bridge. If it had been a summer vacation trip, she would have spent an extra day there to explore Mackinac Island and the hotel where one of her favorite movies had been filmed, Somewhere in Time. But this was mid-November and snow had already fallen in the UP. It also wasn't a fun vacation trip she was on, but leaving to start her life over again. The longer she waited to cross the bridge, the higher the chance of the coming snow blinding her before she made it all the way across.

    Taking a deep breath, she put her foot down on the gas and pressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True story? It is well written, I can see her in my mind's eyes.

      Delete
    2. Cindi: And how glad I am that she/you made it across the bridge and have a new life ahead.

      Delete
    3. Yes, true story. It was me last November. I had pulled over just prior to crossing the bridge to make the call in to virtual court to finalize my divorce and was crossing the bridge a FREE woman.

      Delete
  7. Cindi: I guess crossing the bridge is a way of saying starting anew. I like that she has pets with her, her family of sorts.

    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are indeed my family! I would have been lost without them.

      Delete

All comments are moderated ... so be nice or be gone.