Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Words for Wednesday

  This Writing Challenge was started by Delores a long time ago. Computer issues led her to bow out for a while, and now Words for/on Wednesday is provided by a number of people around the world and has become a movable feast, with [Elephant's Child in Australia] acting as moderator.

   Essentially the aim is to encourage us to write. Each Tuesday or Wednesday (depending on time zones and hemispheres) we are given a choice of prompts: which can be words, phrases, music, or an image. What we do with those prompts is up to us: a short story, prose, a song, a poem, or ignoring them. We can use some or all of the prompts, and mixing and matching are encouraged.

   Some of us put our creation in comments on the post, and others post on their own blog. It is always wonderful if as many people as possible joined in this fun challenge, which includes cheering on the other participants.   You may post on Elephant's Child's blog, here, or your own blog.  If you are posting on your own blog - please share a link on Elephant's Child's blog or here so that I, and other participants, can come along and applaud.

The Challenge:  They say a picture is worth 1,000 words.  Write at least 100 words about the image below.


15 comments:

  1. The road ahead is straight, long and a little daunting. The trees beside it dwarf us, and the grey skies loom.
    Just the same with you beside me (my hand in yours) I am up for the challenge.
    As I hope I will be for the days, weeks, months and even the years ahead.
    Our roads will curve, and possibly fork, but I am ready for that too.
    The splashes of colour from the flowerbeds beside us (much more our size) are a welcome reminder that no matter how long the road, how big the trees, our friendship is better armour than the silly jackets (which aren’t warm and don’t keep out the rain) our mothers insisted we wear…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this! A beautiful description of agape love in any relationship!

      Delete
    2. Elephant's Child: This was sweet. I really like the part about the comparison of jackets and friendship.

      Have a lovely day.

      Delete
    3. Wonderful! Agreeing with Cindi.

      Delete
    4. This is sweet, a reminder of childhood and innocense.

      Delete
  2. Interesting image, almost looks like a cemetery, but not quite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was taken in Holland in the early 70s. My brother and me (I am in the yellow coat). I'm fairly certain we had been fighting as usual, and one of our parents insisted we hold hands and make up. I can think of only one other time I ever held his hand, and that was in deep water in the Gulf of Mexico and I was trying to get back to shore since I was not a strong swimmer.

      Delete
  3. Sweet picture, but I could find no words. On the other hand the 8-track ting has been haunting me since I did not make a poem, so I tried my hand at that instead: No Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least it was a fun earworm song, and seems like it had a nice beat to it. My earworms tend to be rather silly, childhood songs my parents would sometimes sing ... "Do your ears hang low, do they wobble to and fro, can you tie them in a knot, can you tie them in a bow, can you throw them over your shoulder like a contintental soldier, do your earssssssss hang low?"

      Delete
    2. Hehe, that sounds funny-silly, and just like something my mother ould have sung to me. The original song has a really earwormy tune. I'll see if I can find it and add a link to my post.

      Delete
    3. Is that camera in your hand a Kodak Instamatic? If yes, it's too funny because I had one as well, and when first I saw this I thought: "This is me and my sister, on a holiday somewhere!"

      Delete
  4. This was a good photo to write to. Again, I wrote a lot. Here's the link: Quin and the girl in the organge coat. Thanks for the inspiration.

    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was heartbreakingly beautiful. Thank you for participating. I love your words.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. An all too familiar story for the photo, and I'm sure many siblings around the world have unfortunately had the same sentiment. Thank you for sharing!

      Delete

All comments are moderated ... so be nice or be gone.