Friday, September 3, 2021

friday ...

 If life was a well-oiled machine, I would at this moment be pleasantly under anesthesia, dreaming of pizzas, while a camera was taking a scenic tour of my interior tunnels.

 However, life seldom goes as planned, and my procedure was canceled due to an issue with the water supply at the hospital so I am now in quarantine until it can be rescheduled (hopefully quickly because I am very tired of being isolated and relying on mail-order to shop).  

 We have had an increase in the Delta strain of Covid-19 in this area, and to avoid having to take additional time off work (again) for a ten-second test to show I have not been exposed to the virus, I must avoid possible exposure until the procedure is done.  There are too many anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers here for my comfort.

 In my email inbox, this morning was a timely article on [colon cancer symptoms] from Shape magazine.  It was interesting to read because of all the possible symptoms they listed, the only one I was aware of was the unintentional and rapid weight loss.  The anemia I found out later after seeing a doctor for something completely unrelated.  My only known risk factor was ulcerative colitis some 25 years prior that stopped when I divorced him.  'Nuf said on that.  I found out an uncle had colon cancer after the possibility of having it was mentioned to a cousin.

 With that being said (and without wanting to go on a nag about getting colonoscopies as often as I nagged once about a time about the need to continue getting at least every two years a PAP test done even after a hysterectomy), I will only ask that you, dear reader, take charge of your health.  Don't put off, postpone, or ignore any routine health procedures or annoying symptoms.  True, getting a colonoscopy is not an entirely pleasant experience as far as the prep goes.  But at least you are not awake and conscious during the procedure itself.

 I firmly believe that if hospitals had not been overwhelmed in 2020 from Covid-19, and non-emergency procedures canceled ... I could have been diagnosed sooner instead of when my cancer was at a probable Stage 4.

3 comments:

  1. I hope that your procedure can go ahead quickly.
    Sadly our own hospitals are also being overwhelmed. And are likely to stay that way for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too. The cancer center called this afternoon and said that if it is not scheduled or done by next Thursday, they will make a call on my behalf.

      Delete
  2. Agreed, it could have been caught sooner had this whole pandemic thing not happened.

    Also agreed, get your tests. Growing up with a doctor in the family and working in his office for years, it's second nature to me.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated ... so be nice or be gone.