Thursday, July 1, 2021

森林ーよく

  Last night, around sunset, I practiced a little bit of Shinrin ̄ yoku ~ forest well ~ by sitting on my back patio and listening to the birds.  The [Merlin Bird ID app] has added a new feature that allows you to record bird sounds and then it identifies the birds by song.

   I may be slightly addicted to the app now.  I spent about 45 minutes occasionally recording bird songs and seeing what their identified results were.  It was fascinating.  I also did back and forth bird calls with a cardinal and think I might have accepted a marriage proposal.  The male was somewhere distant, and as I responded to his calls by playing recorded ones in the Merlin system, he flew closer and closer until he was in a tree directly across from me.  I don't think I was what he expected to see.

  Fireflies were out also last night and I tried for a while to record video of them, but there was too much light still, and they flash so briefly that it was impossible to see them in the video.

   Speaking of foresting ... check out [this website] if you are looking for some relaxation during the day and can't see the forest for the trees.

  It will be a quiet 3-day weekend for me to catch up on things around the house.  My landlords will be doing some repairs and hopefully installing ceiling fans in the upstairs rooms.  The 4th of July looks like it will be a big weekend in town with a lot planned.  Neighbors across the street have had their gas grill on the front lawn for a few days now, so there may be a block party in the works during the weekend.  Rain is in the forecast from now until Saturday, but it appears that the 4th will be fireworks friendly.

  Gracie feels that I need to get a second window seat for her because Lucy hogs the one I have.  I may have to do that.  Once there is a ceiling fan in here, I won't need to occasionally open the window (too noisy when I work anyway).

6 comments:

  1. My only experience with 森林浴 is my son doing it for PE at school and telling us how silly he felt. I have read that it should be good, and as I truly enjoy my bike ride through the woods I should maybe stop and try a "bath" next time ;)
    You're lucky to have fireflies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I was trying to video them. I know not everyone has them. Foresting is very relaxing, especially to just sit with eyes closed and listen to the trees and birds. I find it is the best part of my day.

      Delete
  2. I do hope Blogger has relented and allows me to comment. Forest bathing (no matter how small the forest) is balm for the heart, mind and body isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very relaxing, no matter how big, small, or digital the forest is.

      Delete
  3. We just don't get out in the forest enough.

    Hope you have a good 4th.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if more people got out in the forest and really appreciated it, the more people would be interested in saving them.

      Delete

All comments are moderated ... so be nice or be gone.