Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Tuesday's treasures

  Charlie had a vet visit yesterday for a booster shot, so I took advantage of being on the other side of the mountain to visit a shop I've been wanting to go to... [Tattered & Worn Antiques]   I wasn't able to stay as long as I liked because Charlie was still in the truck, and while the weather was cool and overcast, I still worried about him even with the windows down.  I know this shop will be somewhere I go frequently (when I have more alone time) for ideas and decor!

  I left with several items, the first was this vintage framed 15.5"x18.5" print, which I love.  Simple.  Decorative frame in pale green with gold highlights.  Beautiful.  And only $9.99.  It hangs on a narrow wall in the dining area.

  Then I spotted these chenille chair pads in various colors and just loved the colors and textures.  I only bought five this time (at $7 each), but will probably go back for several more to fill in the wall a bit more.  They filled my desire for warm, textile wall decor over the sofa, and I love the vintage look of them.  The baskets I had wanted to find were round, but these are so much warmer.

  I read somewhere that when using something abstract like this, it is better to have an odd number, and to not make them look "orderly."  But I feel there is room for one more on the lower right, and maybe one on the left mid-way between the two that are there.  So that they almost look as if they were tossed in place and stuck.

  Finally, I saw these vintage classroom posters, which weren't exactly vintage (and I thought were VERY expensive).  There is a dandelion one beneath the hanging one of multiple flowers, and I thought it would be fitting for the house, but did not want to spend $50 for a poster and two wooden dowels.

  I looked to see if I could find any at allposters.com, Amazon, or Walmart that I could hang for less, but did not find any the size I wanted for a price I was willing to pay.  That made the $50 seem a little more reasonable, but by then I had changed my mind and decided to just go back and look for vintage framed original paintings or prints.  If I can find five more of them or four and two more chair pads, then the room will feel finished.

  Naked walls feel cold and echo too much.  I want my home to feel warm, comforting, and very hygge.

4 comments:

  1. I agree absolutely. Artwork makes a house a home and reflects the personality of the inhabitant. I think you did very well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did indeed do well - but don't rush it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it has to be a piece that draws me into it. If I rush just to fill a spot, I'm apt to be disappointed in the piece later.

      Delete

All comments are moderated ... so be nice or be gone.