Thursday, November 30, 2023

Updates for Thursday ...

  It has been four days of the Gabapentin and steroid combo for Charlie.  He also had his 2nd light laser treatment this morning [Summus Veterinary Laser <link].  It seems like it is all working and he is feeling better.  Being confined to the office with me while I work bores him, so I took him across the street to hang with his BFF Brenda for a few hours.

  Three more days of the meds every 12 hours, then he gets tapered off the steroids for another seven days.  I got the laser package because I wanted to be sure he was well healed, and we have four more visits for that.

  I may have to sneak in and have them give me a session on my right sciatica.  Toting 20# up and down the stairs multiple times a day so he can go to the bathroom and the vet visits are coming at the price of my already compromised lower back.  That may be something that won't change since he is at a higher risk of reinjury now, and the weakness in his hind legs is likely our new normal.  The need for a single-story forever home just went to the top of the priority list.

  We are now a house of seven.  I'm not sure if I mentioned Carl, the unexpected roommate who joined us in October, but he invited a classmate to come here when she arrived.  Chrishiel, (also unexpectedly) joined us in November.  ¡¡No más!!

  I realized what I want the last third of my life to include, and will be going back to school after the first of the year to learn ... wildlife rehabilitation!  Since there are no laws in WV permitting it wildlife rehabilitation,  I would have to move to another state to do it "legally." That single-story forever home and part-time wildlife rehabilitator life may have to be in VA or another nearby state that does allow it injured or orphaned wildlife to be rehabilitated and released.  Or... add to my list to fight for there to be laws on the books in WV that allow it wildlife rehabilitation!  [edited for clarity]

3 comments:

  1. You have laws against single story homes? And I thought we were overgoverned.
    I am glad that Charlie is starting to feel better and hope it improves. And that you don't have to compromise your own precarious health any further. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no, no. WV does not permit wildlife rehabilitation! So I would have to move to another state if I wanted to do it "legally."

      Delete
  2. I hope Charlie's recovery continues apace and you find a single story home. We're going to need one someday, too.

    You might want to move to a state which allows such rehabing while petitioning and helping those in WV fight for the right to do it.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated ... so be nice or be gone.