Thursday, November 2, 2023

WfW ~ a bird in the hand ...

This writing challenge was started by Delores a long time ago. Computer issues led her to bow out and now Words for Wednesday is provided by a number of people and has become a movable feast.

Essentially the aim is to encourage us to write. Each week we are given a choice of prompts: which can be words, phrases, music, or an image. What we do with those prompts is up to us: a short story, prose, a song, a poem, or treating them with ignore... We can use some or all of the prompts, and mixing and matching are encouraged.

Some of us put our creations in comments on the host's post, and others post on their own blog. It would be wonderful if as many people as possible joined in the fun, which includes cheering on the other participants. The prompts were [here] and were provided by Sean Jeating in October.

I'm wrapping up October a week late, then will be taking a step back from blogging for the rest of this year as I put my focus on getting some help for what I now realize has been severe chronic depression for over a decade now.  As much as I love writing the darker stories, they are very often a reflection of where I am mentally.  Those who might remember the David decade and my previous blog [before I deleted it after the divorce] might remember how dark it was ALL the time, not just for WfW.  So I want to redirect my thoughts to happy things and find my joy again.  I may pop in occasionally with just a photo or two, but if I can't write without it being from a dark place, then I don't want to put it out into the universe.


  She barely saw the flutter out of the corner of her eye and for the briefest of moments thought that she was running too late and didn't have time to stop.

  But something told her she must, and so she did.

  There among the leaves that had fallen in the sudden and unexpected overnight freeze was the tiniest hummingbird she had ever seen.  

  She quickly picked it up and tucked it under her coat and sweater, against her bare skin, where she thought she might just be able to keep it warm and hopefully alive.

  Today, of all days, for this tiny bringer of light to have come into her life was simply too much of an answer to prayers to be a coincidence.

  "Please take a breath," she whispered as she walked quickly to the subway, "please, I need you to live.  I can't deal with anything else this morning."

  As if in answer to her whisper, she felt the tiny bird move closer to where her heart was beating from the exertion of walking faster in the cold.  A calm settled over her, and it seemed as if the chaos in her mind suddenly fell silent.

  Even on the subway ride out of the city, her mind stayed peaceful and the noise in the crowded car did not increase her anxiety as it sometimes did.  As the train arrived at her stop she realized she could choose to stay on it to the end of the line.  She didn't have to face her enemy today.  That would happen soon enough.  Today she felt that a walk in the woods might be a nice thing to do for both of them.

  The doors closed.  The train moved on.  She exited the subway where it ended at the airport and walked up to the first counter she saw.

  "I'd like a one-way ticket, please, to somewhere warm with beautiful flowers.  Preferably a direct flight.  I'm in a hurry."

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this lovely healing flash. I do hope it is a premonition. And I am glad to hear that you are looking after yourself. Very glad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pray good and light and life for you, and thank you for the lovely story.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated ... so be nice or be gone.