Saturday, January 14, 2023

painting again ...

"Cindi always carefully plans out her remodeling and redecorating ideas."

Said no one ever.

The last time I painted a room in a house was ... wow ... prior to 2007?  Then, as now, I get an idea in my head of what I want to do and I just run with it.  Ideas and plans sometimes change as everything progresses when I run into issues or something else strikes my fancy.

 I knew when I moved into this house that I would be repainting the bathroom and kitchen eventually.  The walls are bright turquoise.  I love the color ... as an accent color.  Not to look at 24/7/365.   Plus the kitchen cabinets are painted a darker teal that really doesn't the turquoise.

 But the kitchen is a project for later in the summer.

 I thought (mistakenly) that I would be able to do the bathroom in a weekend.  But I realized today that I would need to change my plans.  This will likely be a project that takes two or three months of weekends.

The paint I'm using right now is a Kilz white, and it would probably take several coats to completely hide the turquoise if I was just going to stick to the original plan for white walls, but decided after just a rough first coat, it is just going to be too much white.

 Enter Plan B Part 1.  I found a peel & stick wallpaper design I liked on clearance and ordered one roll, just enough for the wall the door is on so that it adds a little interest to the room.  The leaf outlines are gray in color.

 Part 2 of Plan B is going to be finding a similar gray paint to use on the two other walls once I have the entire room painted with the white Kilz to help hide the turquoise.  I'm going to get a dark gray switch and outlet covers.  I had already ordered gray carpet tiles to go over the ceramic tiles on the floor.  I hate cold floors at any time of the year.

 Gray is neutral enough that I can add pops of other colors with towels or accessories.  Faux plants.  Art on the walls.  

2 comments:

All comments are moderated ... so be nice or be gone.