Tuesday, January 24, 2023

a stranger in a strange land

  The headline was unfamiliar, written in Cyrillic, and I wondered what it said.  В Україні триває війна.  A rogue leader of a country, with no regard for the number of lives that would perish because of his ego and arrogant actions.

  I thought about the summer I went to Paris when I was a teenager, still reeling from my parent's divorce.  I didn't speak French, and even though I was with my classmates, I was still an outsider in another country. Would I have been able to cope with all of the emotions of my country being under attack, losing my home, possibly my family, and becoming a refugee in a foreign country?

  There was a small country parish church I often drove past, surrounded by pine green trees and hidden in a small valley.  I planned to go there to pray for peace for Ukraine.  For some, the thought of praying for a country might seem like a foolish waste of time, but I was feeling overcome with emotion for the children of Ukraine.  For the lost future of generations.

  Моліться за нас, моліться за наше майбутнє. Для дітей. Для сімей. Моліться за нашу країну.  Looking at the petitions for prayer seemed like reading secret messages or taking new orders from some Mission Impossible movie.  

  Perhaps if we all pray for peace.  For the children.  For the families.  Perhaps the world could change for them.  For us.


11 comments:

  1. I hope. How I hope. Thank you for this beautiful and heartfelt entry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always I feel my contrariness rising. Yes I will pray for Ukraine, but I will pray for Syria as well, and for Sudan, and all the other war-harrowed countries that we forget for Ukraine. I do not understand why their tribulations are less worthy of our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't deny that all those countries under the threat of war or under other tribulations such as famine, or natural disasters are worthy of our prayers. I just didn't know that they use the Cyrillic language, which is the only reason I chose Ukraine. It was the first that popped into my search engine for the language. :)

      Delete

    2. Thanks for the explanation, and sorry I vented my frustration on you. Short explanation: Here we had waves of Syrian refugees, who were barely tolerated, slighted and treated with scorn. It was even made illegal to give a Syrian refugee a lift in your car, and people helping hem were called names and dirty epithets. Then came the Ukrainians and people are getting out of their way to help them, And the government too. I just think it is such a bloody injustice - not to the Ukrainians, who get what I think every refugee should have - but to all the others.
      I wrote my angry piece on Ukrainians and Syrians back in April last year
      *Stepping off my soapbox*

      Delete
    3. I have a t-shirt that I recently got that says "Jesus was a refugee." I think some people forget that. It is unfortunate that the Syrians were treated so badly there. I wonder if it was because of who the Ukrainian oppressor is [Russia & Putin] as compared to Syria being in a civil war, and thereby a "war of their own choosing." I'm not picking sides either way, but it would seem that is the biggest difference between them. Perhaps the mentality was that the Syrians made their own bed, so they should go back to it ~ and again, that is not my own belief. Here, I fear we are on the verge of our own civil war and wonder how other countries would treat us as refugees when we often mistreat those coming to us as refugees. This country was founded by refugees who treated the indigenous people as the trespassers, and that is certainly a soapbox that I will always be willing to stand on.

      Delete
  3. Popped over from EC's Words for Wednesday to read your contribution and I am very glad I did. Thank you for your thoughtful post.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated ... so be nice or be gone.