Monday, December 20, 2021

Monday ...

     When my mother was alive, she would always send holiday or birthday cards and gifts with strict instructions on the outside that I was NOT to open them until the appointed date.  

     Of course, since I'm a bit of a smart-donkey at times (okay, full disclosure, most of the time not "at times.") I would respond that since I had no adult supervision, I would do whatever I wanted, which meant ripping them open the day they arrived.

    I still hold to that life principal, however, when I saw this sign, I decided that it would be the one "rule" I needed to adhere to.  It is now mounted on the inside of my kitchen door which leads to my outside porch.

    I love it.

    I sufficiently conquered my cold over the weekend to attend church yesterday morning, and our children's Christmas play last night.  It was wonderful, and the play was held two nights in a row because we had 95 children participating and wanted to give everyone a chance to shine (and audition as future stand-up comedians, of which there were quite a few). 

     I don't think I've been to a children's play since performing in them in elementary school in the early 70's (I was the unfortunate performer one Thanksgiving who had to sit in the audience and stand up at a certain point to shout "Yes!  But what does that have to do with Thanksgiving today?"  It was traumatic, trust me.  One teacher nearly yanked my arm out of the socket trying to get me to sit down and hush!).  

    One of the items my sister recently sent me from Mom's apartment is this village and train set that I remember from my childhood in Germany.  I was thrilled to get it and may find a place to keep it out year-round.

    I found some cute little Christmas baubles at the dollar store, and quickly made some snow globe earrings using Kosher salt, a little bit of silver glitter dust, and snips from my juniper wreath.    

    I'm also working on restoring a box my Aunt Linda made for my parents.  There used to be a verse written on the top of it that has faded with time, and so I want to put it back on.  Photos of that project later since I have botched it and now need to figure out how to fix it.  My handwriting is not as graceful as Aunt Linda's was.

    The week will be another busy one.  I'm picking up a few extra hours from tonight until Wednesday night to make up for the half-day off we are being forced to take on Thursday.  Tomorrow night is the virtual office Christmas party; Wednesday night will be Bible Study; Thursday night will be a movie with the kids at church to see the latest [2018] remake of the Grinch; Friday night Charlie and I will be scanning the skies for Santa's sleigh ~ actually probably sipping gluhwein and watching dysfunctional family Christmas movies (my favorites!!!).  Some domestic goddess tasks thrown in the mix here and there, and maybe some singing of Christmas carols at the top of my lungs until Charlie joins in.

    May you have a beautiful holiday season filled with lots of laughter!

1 comment:

  1. It's wonderful to hear your cold gone, i hope you have a fabulous Christmas with Charlie.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated ... so be nice or be gone.