Thursday, April 15, 2021

Words from Wednesday

  There is a canopy of color outside my office window.  Dark grey clouds.  Trees with new, lime green leaves.  Flowering trees of burgundy red and dark pink.  Ivy of dark green climbing tree trunks.

  The ground is also a canopy of color.  Green grass and leaves from spent daffodils.  A spunky grey squirrel.  New shoots from a climbing rose bush I planted with still green thorns.  Brown leaves from last fall that needs to be raked.  A bright blue jay scavaging sunflower seeds that the rowdy eating machine starlings have spilled from the feeder.  Purple finches look for charity scraps left by the jays.

  On a limp tree limb above the feeders, the iridescent blue, green, and purple common grackles observe the proceedings, waiting for an opportunity to join the fray.

  In my mind, I'm planning aisles of slate rocks between groups of spring flowers in the yard.  I want the appearance of Holland's spring colors like the ones that mesmerized me when I was a child visiting the country for the first time.  Nothing has ever compared to the magic of those memories.  I long to sneak into the carry-on of a certain international flight attendant I know, and just stand in her shoes for a while.

Words for Wednesday is a traveling feast of creativity, and can currently be found [click there> on The Other Side of Sixty.

10 comments:

  1. Spring is SUCH an exciting and vibrant time. Love your use of the prompts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The tulips have just exploded overnight all over town and are stunning!

      Delete
  2. Flowers and birds and trees. You painted a spring mosaic with your words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Every time I glanced up today there was a different bird at the feeder. they can be very distracting!

      Delete
  3. I'm visiting your blog from the Word for Wednesday challenge. Living where springtime arrives late, I have just enjoyed it vicariously through your writing. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you! I used to live where springtime was late or just never showed up, and I love having it again.

      Delete
  4. Hope your garden dreams come true!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is like a painting Cindi - beautifully done. When I visit Ireland in Springtime I am overwhelmed with the colours.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I visited Scotland in the fall once, nearly froze to death. LOL But it was beautiful! I would love to visit Ireland in the Spring!

      Delete

All comments are moderated ... so be nice or be gone.