Monday, April 26, 2021

home again, home again

 Jiggity Jig ...

  From the moment the amazing EMTs with the  [White Sulphur Springs Rescue Squad ] arrived to whisk me away last Thursday, I felt like I was in good hands.  The EMTs (and forgive me for not writing down your names at the time) helped me to relax and not worry about anything. 

  I want to give a HUGE shout-out to the amazing nurses, doctors, techs, dietary ladies, and housekeeping staff at my home away from home last week, the fourth floor of the [LewisGale Hospital in Covington, VA.]   Everyone, and I mean every. single. one of them was just amazing.  Friendly, kind, patient.  I can't say enough good things about my experience there.

  This was the first time I had been hospitalized for more than a night, and I was overwhelmed the first night with worry about my dog, Charlie, being home alone.  I boo-hoo'd and had a slight anxiety attack while tryng to make sure someone would check on him on a cell phone with a dying battery (note to self: pack a spare charger in my emergency to-go bag!!!!)  These amazing ladies (and a few male doctors) saw me at my worst:  bed head hair, boofoo ugly glasses that are seldom worn in public (I have a fear of turning people into stone when I wear them), sobbing-snotting-crying, and barefooted with my funky ugly toes and all.

  They listened empathetically to me when I shared my fears for Charlie.  Got that I have a warped sense of humor when I shared that I had been worried about having to buy new shoes in February if they had to cut my toes off.  Patiently answered my no-stop questions about pancreatitis (for FOUR days!).   Kept me supplied with ice and water when I really wanted pizza and tacos.

  I wish I'd had the sense to keep track of everyone's names, but to be honest, those first few days I think I slept more than I was awake because of the pain meds and just being emotionally overwhelmed.

  You are amazing superheroes.  Thank you to the Emergency Room and Fourth Floor staff of [LewisGale Hospital,] for taking such good care of me.

3 comments:

  1. Hooray for being home - and for what sounds like superlative treatment. Just as it should be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Medical people are heroes, i am so glad they were there for you. Also glad you are home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you are doing OK! Thinking of you from the rainy UP.

    xx Sara

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated ... so be nice or be gone.