Sunday, February 14, 2021

Creative Daze ...

  But first, some tree love.  Spotted this amazing tree at a tattoo shop in Lewisburg where I plan on getting my next ink.   The picture doesn't do justice to the size and beauty.  I would easily guestimate that it was more than 100 years old.  I wish at times I could place a hand on the trunk of a massive old tree and just feel some of the things it has seen in its long life.

  This brings me to another quick topic before speaking of my creative plans ... West Virginia is nothing if not proud.  I've heard that the university has some hardcore fans of their [Click there> 'eers (aka Mountaineers).  But they are also patriotic (recent election politics aside).  Every bridge and road in White Sulphur Springs has been named [Click there > in honor of a past or present military member.  It's incredibly humbling.

  A shopping center near me was built on the grounds of a [Click there > historic Civil War battle and is named Battleground Crossing.  On one of these warmer days, I will stop to get a photo of the historical markers there.

Image source: Zulily
  So on to creative plans ... my living/dining room tends to be a fairly dark feeling room even when I turn on the ceiling fan light (which is not often).  Dark brown curtains, dark wood flooring, dark wood dining table, and futon.  I've been trying to figure out how to lighten it up some, and also cover the futon and dining room chair seats.  Certain cats who don't know how lucky they are that I am not a believer in the torture of declawing seem to think they are there just for their use.  Manufactured sofa protectors will not fit the futon because there are no arms on it.  

  My solution:  to buy an inexpensive quilt set with matching shams which were on sale 75% off on Zulily.  The shams and part of the quilt I will need to cut so it will fit snug on the futon will be used to cover the dining room chairs.  I liked the idea of the quilt because it is easy to customize for a perfect fit, and brings in some of the blues into the room that I had been looking for.

Image Source: Zulily
  To make the floor pop, and tie into the yellow roses in the quilt, I took advantage of an amazing 85% off sale at Zulily to get two 5x7 area rugs.  The pattern is very similar to the one in the quilt, and choosing yellow vs blue doesn't overwhelm the room in blue.  It lightens the feeling in the room, helps to keep some of the cold air from the crawlspace from seeping up into the room, and gives me the option of adding color to the walls.  Altogether, I spent less than $140 for everything, including shipping.

  Speaking of color on the walls ... it will hopefully be in the form of these watercolor paintings.  I ordered two tutorial kits from [Click there > Let's Make Art and after I do the smaller 8x10 image as "practice" I want to buy larger canvases and do bigger ones to hang over the sofa.

  With the mountain image, I'm going to fancy script the quote "The mountains are calling and I must go ~ John Muir" and for the dandelion "some see weeds, some see wishes"

  There were several other kits that I liked on the site, and may buy at a later date to supplement the wall decor in other parts of the house.

   Tomorrow night's destress project will be restringing another turquoise choker that was mine when I was in junior high school.  It still fits like a choker, but no longer my style.  I did take a before picture to share when I'm done.

2 comments:

  1. None of the "click heres" worked for me. That is some tree! Beautiful quilt. Looks so cozy.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated ... so be nice or be gone.