Sunday, February 11, 2024

The Gallery #1

    On Sundays, a blogger friend of mine [Sue @ Elephant's Child] usually posts photos that have not seen the light of blog days.  She has MS and is stepping back from blogging at the moment, but her last Sunday post of photos was her 665th.   Roughly 12 years, give or take a year.  I couldn't even imagine that at first, but then realized if I counted my previous blogs (REALLY regret deleting them now) I have probably been blogging far longer than that.

    So I thought I would see if I could salvage any of the photos from those earlier blogs and start posting some of them here on Sundays.

I think this is from Mexico Beach, FL in the early 2000s

Trooper & Me at East Bay by our home in Panama City, FL.
It would have been probably in 2009.

Me & Mom.  2007.

My first Christmas at Ft. Hood, TX.  2010.

Trying to be a horse whisperer at Ft. Hood.
Maybe 2011?


How I feel at this moment after viewing all of these pictures.
Like I've been shot through the heart. 
I was not prepared for some of them.
People, pets, places, and things lost over the years.
And people I'd rather not still have photos of.
I need to figure out how to delete some of those old photos and narrow down the ones I want to keep. 
This, by the way, was actually one of my practice targets before I left California in 2000.


4 comments:

  1. Looking through the old photos can be a mixed bag.

    You are a crack shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was, at one time, a crack shot. But that was before my retinal tear and limited vision in one eye. Now I'm armed with a shotgun so that I don't have to have perfect aim to hit something.

      Delete
  2. I know that looking back at photos is bittersweet. You see wonderful memories, memories of absolutely marvelous times that in some ways you wish you could get back. Cherish those. But there are those memories you'd rather forget. Take this as an opportunity to shed those, sort of as a cleansing. After packing up my mother's things over 10 years ago when moving her into a nursing home, and then packing up my MIL's 2500 sq ft house five years ago for about the same reason, I ended up thinking hard about all the "things" we tend to accumulate over time. They are important to us, to us individually, but at some point, they will go. To where, I am not sure. In my case, our daughter would be left with those decisions to make. I don't want to burden her with so much. So, I am looking at ways to consolidate meaningful items, including photos. Funny thing is my kiddo is just as sentimental as I am. It's a work in progress. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a process called Swedish Death Cleaning, where you don't wait until death, but you gift things while you are alive, and consolidate what you want to keep to a minimum. I was able to get into the photos and download ones that were important to me, deleting ones I no longer wanted to see (ex and his kids). Found a photo I'd been looking for forever. Put some back in the memory of my mind. I will probably share some here, along with stories of where I was at that time in my life.

      Delete

All comments are moderated ... so be nice or be gone.