Sunday, February 18, 2024

The Wonder Habit 2024 : 1/100 Forest

I am not the artist my mother was.  At least not free-hand, although, I'm not sure I ever saw anything that she did free-hand.  Her watercolor paintings were all sketched from photos.  My strengths are in words, and letting words paint the pictures.

The "pine trees" above were my 3rd attempt with a shimmer watercolor paint over colored pencils.  They actually look more like the ones found at Dollar Tree during the holidays.  However, theirs are more tapered and look like trees and not a pipe cleaner on steroids as mine do.

My first two attempts were with watercolors only, and I think I was heading in the right direction with the bottom one, but just got sloppy with the spray bottle, and they might have actually turned out better had I used a brush to wet the paper and maybe some salt on it when it was wet to get some interesting texture and effects.  

The top one just looks like something that Treebeard [<link] may have painted in his anger management therapy.

But the purpose of 100 Days of Wonder is not to be perfect.
It is to explore with wonder the world around us, and how we see the world.
I'm only slightly hopeful that my watercolor skills will improve over the next 99 days.
Slightly, slightly hopeful.



1 comment:

  1. i like your attempt at trees, I think you are too hard on yourself.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated ... so be nice or be gone.