Tuesday, August 1, 2023

WfW ~ blue, pink, or green?

I am writing with Words for Wednesday, the words for which can be found [link>] on Messy Mimi's Meanderings blog for the month of August.  

The goal of WfW is to take given prompts, words, phrases, photos, colors, or music and create a story from them.  This week's words and color of the month are in bold italics.  

If you visit her blog you can also read and cheer on the other writers participating in this weekly fun. 

*~*~*

  I counted out the flatware again for the fifth time.  One more interruption and I was seriously going to lose it on someone.  I didn't care if it was the season to be jolly, I'd had just enough of people coming in and out of the dining room singing "The Twelve Days of Christmas!"  It was becoming harder to resist the temptation to just scream bloody hell at the top of my lungs and start throwing knives and forks at everyone.

  Adding to my stress was the fact that this would be the first-holiday dinner where our mixed families would be combined.  It would also be only the second time I had met my partner's family in 25 years, and the anxiety I was feeling about that fact was just about to make me have a nervous breakdown.

  It was difficult enough to communicate with them given the language barriers that we faced.  Or that they lived more than  13 billion light-years away, and I couldn't just invite them over for dinner once a week.   But when they decided to drop the "little" oh-by-the-way bombshell that we were no longer on the bottom of their food chain but somewhere in the upper middle lower upper of it ... I was more than a little ashamed to admit that I was a tad bit worried about hosting a dinner party for them where I could wind up being on the menu.

  Chills ran up my spine again when I thought of the menu I had planned per my partner's instructions.  I had almost vomited when topping the list of ingredients they wanted was 20 gallons of luminous bright red blood.  Fresh blood too, which had been nearly impossible to find.  Somehow I'd done it, but quite honestly, I wondered once again if getting involved with an HD1 entity was a mistake.

  Finding out that they had been here all along, an early settler who had taken the time to learn our language and assimilate unseen and unnoticed into our society was enough of a shock.  Then learning about the multiple entities within one "organism" was just mindblowing.  I had no idea if they would take offense at me ending our relationship suddenly, but wasn't sure I wanted to find out before I was prepared to go off-world myself to maintain my own covert and front identity.

  The last thing I needed would be to start an intergalactic war between HD1 and Neptune over a dinner invitation and a baby gender reveal party!

2 comments:

  1. It doesn't matter what planet you're on, those inter-cultural families can be hard to navigate. Excellent use of the words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my experience, family is often a mine field. Thank you for exploring the extra difficulties that this one faces.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated ... so be nice or be gone.