Wednesday, July 12, 2023

remembering when ...

   I've been working on the family tree of my former brother-in-law.  My second husband's youngest brother, now the last surviving of the three brothers.  He has two sons, one nephew, and a great-nephew.  The five of them are all that is left of their lineage.

  Going through the hints that pop up on Ancestry.com, I see familiar names, and I can hear in my mind the voice of my Gypsy Mom, my MommaLaw, telling me who this person was or who that person was.

  I haven't heard her voice since 2005, but suddenly she is alive again in my memories.  I was closer to her than my own Mom for many, many years.  Even after I divorced her son in 2001.  She died in 2017.

  Last year I reconnected with him after two decades, and it was a good thing.  A healing thing for both of us.

  I've also continually been fussed at by the Carolina Wren nesting in the dogwood tree outside the front door.  She reminds me of the one my Mom had nested in her mailbox for several years.  Now every time I step outside, I think my Mom is fussing at me.

  Sometimes old memories can be a good thing.

  And a quick update to the injured bunny... it is still alive, and now becoming more active.  I will pick it up in the morning, keep it under observation for a week or so, then release it into the wild.

2 comments:

  1. It's good of you to be tracing his family line. I'm very glad to hear about the rabbit, your kindness has helped save a life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you are enjoying your work on your former brother in law's family tree. Thank you so much for giving us the update on the bunny - and thank you for saving him. Or her.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated ... so be nice or be gone.