Tuesday, June 1, 2021

trunk makeover

 
Remember that old trunk that I was working on upcycling?  I finally got it out of the back of my truck and have been working on it for the past few weeks.

  It was rusted more than I anticipated, and so most of the exterior work has just been to remove the sharp pieces that could potentially cut me or one of the fur-kids.

  The interior underwent multiple reworks.  Originally I painted it all white with the intention of doing a gingham pattern with blue and yellow stripes to make a green crosshatch, but that didn't go as planned.  Especially after I got blue paint on my yellow carpet, and Charlie peed on the paper I had protecting the carpet.
 

  Then I poured yellow circles on a blue background with the intention of making the yellow dots look like roses, but they turned out to look more like bloodshot monster eyes and really kinda creepy.
 

   I finally decided to staple leftover quilt fabric that I had used to recover some chairs, and that is my final answer, Regis.  I added legs to help keep the rusty bottom up off the rug.  I'm probably going to get a poster frame that I can cut down the acrylic to place over the fabric just to protect it from stains and dirt.

  The interior will stay white, and eventually, I will repaint the bottom of the tray since it is white with odd blue and yellow marks from sitting on wet paint on the paper while I was working on it.  But what I can't see won't bug me, so it's not high on my do*do*to*do list.  The rusty exterior adds to the charm and doesn't bother me either.

  My next project will be doing something with the lid, and I have thought of turning it into a bookcase in the bedroom by my vintage meditation chair.  I could screw it into the wall to keep it from tipping over and just use the existing shelf, maybe adding one or two with the wood that is there.   The vintage patterned fabric I ordered for the wooden rose chair upcycle will work in it, and I may tear it into strips and glue it like it could be a quilt.

3 comments:

All comments are moderated ... so be nice or be gone.