Saturday, August 20, 2022

thoughts ...

Image Source: WeHeartIt.com
 I'm trying to get back into some of the good habits I had last fall and over the winter with my morning meditations, readings, and journaling.  I'm not sure if it was the stress of starting a new job, beginning to get sick again, or what caused me to get out of those habits, but I miss that quiet time.

I've also started a new mindfulness meditation journal that asked what three things made me happy.  #2 on the list was blogging, something I had also fallen away from lately.

This morning I was reading from 1 Corinthians 12 & 13, and thinking about God's gifts and promises.  Pastor Garrett has spoken many times about God's promise to replace all we had lost, and I realized this morning that I was misinterpreting what that meant.

I thought that it would be those material things I had lost in this life ... a vehicle.  Finances and savings.  Heirloom jewelry.  KitchenAid mixer and other appliances.  Fancy Princess House dinnerware and crystal.  Pampered Chef baking stones and cookware.  Mementos from my childhood and travels.

Things of this life and world.

But this morning I realized that the promised return of those things was not for "this" world, "this" home, or "this" life.  For my "home" is not here, it is not of this world.  My reward and promise come from the knowledge and promise of an eternity with Him.

I have no "need" for a vehicle when God has provided me with friends who are willing to drive me.  I have no "need" for jewelry when I am beautiful in His eyes.  I have no "need" for lost name-brand appliances, baking, and cookware, or fancy dinnerware and crystal glasses.  In truth, those things were bought to impress old friends of 40 years ago who are no longer even a part of my life now.  God has blessed me with new friends whom I do not need to impress because they love me just as I am with what I have.  I haven't lost those "mementos" because the memories are still in my heart and memories, and God continually blesses me with new ones.

Thank you, Abba, for always keeping your promises.

1 comment:

All comments are moderated ... so be nice or be gone.