Saturday, January 8, 2022

Saturday ...

Click on pictures to enlarge
     Our second winter storm came through Thursday night, bringing more cold and snow.  The snow fortunately was light and fluffy, not heavy and wet, so was easier to shovel from the walk yesterday morning at 6a before I started work.  

     This morning, however, the cold has made it bitter.  I had to rush Charlie's spare snow "boots" across the street to neighbors when I heard their Boston terrier puppy crying from his little toes freezing.

Working hard with me on Friday
    Charlie is long overdue for a haircut, plus was a Wisconsin/Lake Superior puppy and used to snow and cold.  He runs out, does business, and doesn't even flinch until the temps are double digits below freezing.  As I type this, it is almost 330p and has finally "warmed up" to freezing.

     The encaustic class that I was looking forward to today was rescheduled due to the weather, and the hostess having a cold.  Disappointing, but it opened my day up to be creative on my own.  Which I was immensely happy to do!

    I finished my Springerle ornaments for next Christmas's tree, painted my home gnome with the frigid weather on my mind.  I've never been a glitter girl in the past ... growing up I was more of a tom-boy.  Jeans, climbing trees, catching frogs ... not a glitter girl.  But it seems I'm making up for it lately and glitter has made quite the appearance in several of my craft projects.  And on my table ... carpet ... clothing ... I may have glitter forever now.

    I also cleaned up my clay feather while I am still deciding how to paint it.  Cardinals are a favorite of mine, and I'm thinking of painting it with red watercolor.   The picture that I used for the model has a small bird on it, but I think I like it more without the bird.  I'm trying to resist the urge to put glitter on the edges.  The struggle is real.

    Friday I purchased a vintage side table that I had seen for several weeks on the Facebook marketplace (16 weeks actually) and when I saw that the price had dropped I reached out to ask if it was still available.  It was, and not only was I able to negotiate the delivery of it, but he also dropped the price by $5 so I could buy paint since it has been scuffed up and scratched a bit.  His "vintage" age put it the same age as me, and I love it just as it is, scuffs and all.  So far neither cat has opted to try the bed on the bottom shelf, and I will probably take it out eventually and stack books under there.

     When I lived in Florida, I frequently took cooking classes from my favorite German lady who owned a small restaurant and wine shop.  It has been ages since I've had the pleasure of doing that, and today I was able to do it again.  Sort of.

     I got a coupon for $100 off a four-week meal delivery program called [link > Green Chef], and the first delivery was 50% off on top of that, so I decided to give it a try.  In the past, I've tried other meal delivery programs and was really disappointed.  They arrived pre-made, pop in the oven or microwave, and be done with it.  The flavor was sometimes lacking, substitutions from what I had ordered were frequent, and I was just left feeling dissatisfied with the price that they were asking per meal.

     My box of four meals for two people arrived from Green Chef today, and surprise, they weren't pre-made.  I had four bags with all the ingredients to MAKE THEM MYSELF!  It was like a cooking class in my own home!

     Dinner tonight (with leftovers for lunch tomorrow) was Smoky Salmon with Rémoulade, Green Beans, and Apple-Cabbage Slaw with Dried Cranberries and Rosemary White-Wine Vinaigrette.  (If I were to say I nearly licked the plate clean, it would be the truth.  It was THAT good!).   The only things "pre-made" were the packets of smoky applewood spice blend, rémoulade with avocado mayo & horseradish, and the vinaigrette.  But otherwise, I cut up the green beans and Granny Smith apple.

     I had FUN making it!  Well, except for when I forgot that I had pulled a pan out of the oven and grabbed the handle with my bare hand.  But, no harm done and no blisters.  I have the recipe sheet for it and know I will make it again with ingredients I can find at the grocery store, or find another recipe to make the rémoulade.  I can't wait to make the Parmesan-Crusted Chicken on Monday, Cauliflower Piccata Pasta on Wednesday, and Honey-glazed Chickpea & Quinoa Bowl for Friday.

     Full disclosure, however, while I loved this meal and know that I will love the others as well, Green Chef's prices after the first week, even with the rest of my coupon off the next three week's meals, is just too high for my budget as a single person and I won't be getting the remaining meals.  That is the big drawback of meal delivery programs that I've looked into ... the cost for a single person.  My second week of meals from Green Chef would have cost me about $120 even with the coupon.  That is sometimes my grocery budget for an entire month!

    Look for my post tomorrow with my fun surprise gift project, and on Monday with my next cooking lesson and  ... drum roll ... how my job interview went.  Yes, I think it is time for a change ... at least before the book shop becomes a reality and I'll also update how that adventure is changing into something within reach!

4 comments:

  1. It's the price that's kept me from trying the meal delivery boxes, too. Most of the stuff is things my Sweetie wouldn't eat, either.

    Love seeing your crafts, and good luck with the interview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that you got at least one delicious meal from Green Chef. The prices for similar things are very high here too. I am not tempted.
    I do love your side table - and wish I had aged that well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully, I will have three more delicious meals from them. The bonus is that I can remake them at any time with the recipe cards they provided.

      Delete

All comments are moderated ... so be nice or be gone.