Friday, January 14, 2022

Between here and there ...

     I was between a rock and a hard place on Thursday.  I accepted an offer for a much better job on Wednesday and after giving a more than two-week notice was told that the company was considering firing me over a first offense misunderstanding of policy.  I was given the option of moving my resignation up to immediate or waiting for the outcome of a "tribunal" of sorts.  I opted to leave immediately.  Not because I felt threatened by the outcome, but because I knew for a fact that there were others on the team who deliberately been doing things to violate the same policy they accused me of, yet they were still there and had not been put on the chopping block.  Yet I was singled out because I had given notice and their assumption was that I was behaving like a "short-timer."  It was clear that the real policy that I had violated was daring to seek and find, a much much much better job.  The work ethic that my father instilled in me doesn't include "short-timer" behavior.

     So I now find myself with a few weeks of downtime between jobs to juggle my finances, get all my laundry finally put away, pack up their company computer, make room for the new company computers, rearrange my office, put away empty packing tubs from my move that have been replaced by actual side tables, and craft craft craft to my heart's content.  And cook, bake, and do more cooking and baking.  I have Springerle to make, and two more recipes from the meal plan.  Plus maybe a few random ones from a cookbook or two.

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. ~ Romans 8:28

     The meal plan recipe I made next was one I thought I would really like since I do like roasted chickpeas, hummus, feta cheese, pine nuts, and quinoa. But I'd never had chard before, or shallots per se.  The meal itself was good.  The heartburn several hours later that woke me up was not.  I'm not sure if it was the shallots or the turmeric spice that is used.  Either way, it will be a keeper but with substitutions.  Raw onions have given me heartburn in the past, and I didn't use as much of the shallots as the recipe called for because of that, even though they were sautéed.

     It has been bitterly cold here this week with only one day in the last five being above freezing.   One of those days was just a high of 19F.   We have another winter storm on the way Sunday with a lot more snow forecast for us.

     I finished painting my cardinal feather.  A little glitter did sneak in, but only because it was mixed in the paint and water I used.  I am thinking of using some of the Command no damage stick-on tape to mount it on the wall over the stove where I have a painted glass plate of cardinals.    I want to make another feather now and paint it to look like a blue jay feather I found.  

    Got time ...

3 comments:

  1. Enjoy this interlude - as I know you will. And good luck with your new job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your positive point of view, and that cardinal feather sure is pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the new job! May these next weeks be a bonus blessing.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated ... so be nice or be gone.