Wednesday, April 12, 2023

WfW ~ the case of the artisan's coins ...

 
"Do you know how lucky you are right now that I don't just fire you?"

 "You can't fire me.  I'm your sister, and I don't even work for you."

 "My point exactly, ROSE."  If you worked for me, I would've fired you for barging in here and all the chaos you created with that notebook you found by the river."

 "Well if I worked for you, I would have quit a long time ago because of how shoddily you pay me."

 "I don't pay you!!!"

 "My point exactly, JACK!"

 "PLEASE!!!  CAN THE TWO OF YOU PLEASE STOP SHOUTING AT EACH OTHER?!?!  YOU ARE MAKING MY HEAD HURT WITH ALL THIS BICKERING.  I THANK GOD EVERY DAY THAT I WAS AN ONLY CHILD!"

 The two of them looked at me, mouths gaping.  I couldn't remember the last time, if ever, I had raised my voice in the office.

 "Settle down, Simon.  It's not necessary for you to shout at Rose.  In fact, it's downright inappropriate."

 "I'm sorry, but I didn't sleep well last night, and I've got a splitting headache.  Please.  Rose, what is it today that has you bursting in here in excitement?"

 Rose huffed.  "Well, not that you'd care, since you think you are some high and mighty college edumacated private investigator and all, but there was a man found dead in town."

 "This isn't another notebook you found, is it?"

 "No, it's not.  I heard about it when I was getting my nails done at the salon.  A man was found with a knife in his back at the Artisan's Loft."

 Jack and I looked at each other.  We'd heard sirens earlier in the day, but neither of us thought much of it.  It was Spring Break, and sirens were pretty common unfortunately as the college kids tended to get a little out of hand.

 "What else did you hear?"

 "Only that he had some rather peculiar coins in his pockets."

 "What do you mean by 'peculiar'?"

 Rose raised an eyebrow at me and turned to answer Jack.  I guessed I shouldn't have yelled at her after all.

 "They haven't been minted.  Yet."

 "Yet?"

 "Yet."

 "What do you mean, 'yet'?"

 "I mean, that the dates on the coins are from fifty years in the future."

 "Are you sure they aren't just movie props or something?  Like a remake of "Somewhere in Time" or something?"

 Rose stomped her foot.  "No, JACK.  I don't have my HEAD in the CLOUDS again if that is what you are really asking!  I know it sounds impossible.  I'm just telling you what I overheard at the nail salon when the CHIEF OF POLICE came in to talk to HIS WIFE about it!"

 "Again with the shouting?"

 Rose glared at me and stormed out of the office.  Jack raised his eyebrows.

 "You know, I heard the fumes from some of those nail products are pretty toxic.  Maybe she was high?"

 "Oh yeah, as the clouds!"

 It didn't help that I hit my funny bone as I fell out of my chair laughing.

7 comments:

  1. Oooh. More please. I do love the idea of coins that have yet to be minted...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like this detective agency theme that has popped up and think I might follow it for the rest of the month at least, or maybe a few months. They are quite the characters.

      Delete
  2. This story is so clever. I would love to be given or find "future" coins. However, I'm not sure what I would do with them, tell the world or keep it a secret? Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. She loves to drop a bombshell, doesn't she. Nice story, and i'd like to know the rest. Was she high on those fumes? Were the coins from the future? This could go places, if the prompts and your muse say so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My muse seems to be quite thrilled with the prompts and the direction they are taking me. This may be a story line that continues for the rest of the year...

      Delete
  4. Fun CIndi - loved the ending ... and yes perhaps more to come along these lines. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated ... so be nice or be gone.