Wednesday, September 20, 2023

WfW ~ bad ideas vs good ideas

 The original Words for Wednesday was begun by Delores and eventually taken over by a moveable feast of participants when Delores had computer troubles.  The aim of the words is to encourage us to write.   A story, a poem, whatever comes to mind.  If you are posting an entry on your own blog, please let us know so we can come along to read it and add a few encouraging words.  This month the words/prompts are supplied by River at Drifting Through Life and can be found right [here.]

  I had a brief conversation with my cousin on Instagram last night which was followed by a conversation with the Good Me on my right shoulder and the Bad Me on my left shoulder.

  The convo with my cousin was regarding dating.  I'd kinda-sorta-almost-in-a-way like to date again.  But it is so hard to get back into that "game" after being burnt so badly in the past.  There are times when I still feel the raw blisters on my heart.  Then there is the whole "where do I start" part of it because I don't get out much at all.  I work from home.  I don't attend a regular church anymore, and never liked using a church as a way to meet eligible men anyway.   

  My cousin suggested using a dating app, which is then where the Good/Bad Mes had their conversation:

  Good Me:  "That's not a good idea."

  Bad Me:  "I know, but it's the best bad idea I've got."

  I decided to just jump into the fire with an app called "Coffee Meets Bagels" after realizing that the cost of an eHarmoney account was just totally insane.  Downloaded the app, paid for a month, and then promptly shared dating nightmare videos with my cousin.  

  Had nightmares when I fell asleep.  Woke up this morning and promptly canceled my subscription.  But now I have a month paid for, and likely won't get any matches because they don't actually have any members in my area.

  Wish I'd been able to know that before I signed up and wasted $15.89.

  So instead of hoping for someone to send me antique pink roses, I'm going to just grow my own yellow ones whenever I find my forever home.   I'll take time to actually smell them too.  Maybe even one day I will again visit a famous (or random) fountain in Germany and toss in some coins for luck.

  In the meantime, I'm craving some peanut butter pumpkins and trying to keep from shouting at the walls because of another water leak in this slum of a house I was foolish enough to move into.  The illegally installed-non-permitted downstairs bathroom is leaking, and we are stuck with nowhere else to move to because of the lack of available and affordable housing here.  Even if I were to abandon my four roommates and try to find a place alone, I have no options.

  Moving to another state is beginning to sound more and more like a good idea.

16 comments:

  1. I liked this story very much, except for the leaking illegal bathroom. Is it possible to pay for repairs yourselves or would the landlord have a hissy fit? I've never tried any dating apps and never will, I'd rather be alone these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could pay for repairs myself, but would rather he own up to his mistakes. It's just been frustrating because his go-to response is that none of us know how to properly take a shower. Being alone is fine with me. Most of the time. I suppose because I found out Monday that a classmate died sometime late last week ~ alone ~ that I wonder if some companionship isn't such a bad thing at times. It was a few days before he was found, which strikes me as a little sad for him.

      Delete
  2. Huge sigh. On lots of levels. Dating apps scare me. I have read so many stories of predators using them. I do hope that you find a forever home (in whatever state) soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are terrifying. And I'm so much wiser than I was when I was young and fearless. Thank you for the warm thoughts for a new forever home soon.

      Delete
  3. I like the way you used the words. I'm sorry you wasted money on an site that would be useless to you anyway.

    As for the housing situation, it's untenable almost everywhere. We've painted ourselves into a corner, economically, climate-wise, and in so many other ways, and I have no good suggestions.

    I will be praying you and your four roomies find a place quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the prayers. Yes, the housing situations are dire for everyone everywhere. Wasting money on something I shouldn't have spent it on in the first place just reinforces the lesson learned.

      Delete
  4. From the way you write and the comment on River´s I assume it´s a true story, also.
    I would not know what to do if... I´m an introvert. Hubby is chronically sick...
    I hope you find some way, also for your bathroom there!
    Why are there wolves in your profile pic?
    My background pic you find info in the "About Me"-section.
    I always read that when I meet a new blogger, seems I´m the only one ;-)
    Good luck with the future!
    I threw many a coin in the wishing-fountain in Kings Park, Perth... will I do it again next year or is it a waste of money...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, true story. My imagination mojo seems to have dried up for the moment and I've had trouble finding a thread to start.
      I've gone from being an introverted child, to an extroverted young adult, to an introverted somewhat older adult. Perhaps that means I'm a wiser adult and not so much introverted.
      The wolves were at a rescue I visited in Florida, and I love wolves. They were the main characters in my first fiction novel. That was the first time I'd seen any in person other than from a distance at a zoo.
      I also read the About Me sections!!!
      And I don't know if wishing with coins in a fountain is a waste of money. It depends on what you wished for and if it came true...

      Delete
    2. When you love wolves you might want to visit Kathy, she had at least one as a pet! (if you do say hi to her from me :-)...)
      Where does your love for Germany come from, if I may ask? Where have you been here?
      I wished we can move to Perth! I love Perth... But we are too old now - they only accept people under 50 years of age, so all we can do is visit every two years. But that´s better than nothing, right?

      Delete
    3. My father was military (Air Force) and we spent 4 years in Wiesbaden when I was 6-10 years old (back before the wall fell). Magical place. Very best childhood memories when we still behaved like a family that cared about each other. We did Volksmarches all over the nearby country, visited other nearby countries.
      Since growing up (somewhat) I've been back twice. I took a Rhine River cruise the Christmas after my father died trying to recapture some of those memories, and the following year a Danube River cruise. But have not been back since 2008 and my heart aches to be able to go back again, and more often. My retirement dreams...
      I will visit Kathy! And tell her you said hello!

      Delete
    4. I hope, then, you can make your dream come true and I do hope you will not be disappointed. Lots has changed. But also some for the good :-)

      Delete
  5. Hm, dating apps? I'd rather rely on serendipity.
    As for your current suboptimal situation: May your wishes/dreams soon come true, Cindi.
    The peace of the night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...and thank you. Serendipity would be wonderful. It was a good movie as well, and has always been one of my favorite words.

      Delete
  6. Hi so nice to meet you Cindi, so glad you dropped by for a visit. Yes Iris and I are online friends and slow mail friends too-I love getting mail in my mailbox. Yes I do love wolves, I have been reading about the Yellowstone wolves by Rick Mcintyre he had spent years studying wolves in Yellowstone Park-they are like reading his notes while watching the wolves-for hours.
    good luck with dating hugs fom the lake Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also a snail-mail-aholic. Writing cards and letters is a dying art form I think. I may have watched that documentary on the wolves of Yellowstone. They fascinate me. I did once rescue a wolf/dog hybrid during a hurricane in Florida once. But that is a story for another day...

      Delete
    2. If you would like to do slow mail-I have a comment form on my blog, and I will send you back my address. yes that was a good documentary about the yellowstone wolves-I think I saved that one on my dvr. so glad you rescued the dog-wolf pup

      Delete

All comments are moderated ... so be nice or be gone.